Computer is just a dummy machine. It can only work the way we instruct it to work. But, to communicate with it we need a language which both (we and the computer) can understand.
The language to interact with the computer is called the Coding Language or the Programming Language.
There are hundreds of coding languages like C, C++, Java, Python, PHP, Asp.Net etc. The correct selection of the language plays a very important role in learning coding. If a beginner gets hands-on with a programming language that is not very well understandable, then he/she might develop a disliking for coding.
Choosing a coding/programming language for a beginner depends upon certain important factors. Sphere InfoTech has designed Special Coding Packages for children who are completely new to the world of coding. These packages have been designed keeping in view the learning ability and grasping power of children.
Python, one of the latest and most popular languages is recommended at Sphere InfoTech due to its following characteristics:
- Syntax of Python is easily readable by humans. It is very close to the human language.
- Writing code in Python is very similar to writing English language.
- Installing Python is not at all difficult. With even Windows on your system, Python can work.
- Children learn to develop interactive projects and games which add fun to their experience.
- There is immense demand of Python in the Industry. The child can start with basic coding and go to the level of Robotics, Artificial Intelligence & Machine Learning.
Coding teaches how to do Computational Thinking. It teaches how to break complex problems into smaller parts and then deal with them in a step-by-step or a sequential manner. This embeds a logical and systematical approach in the minds of children.
Technology is a part of our everyday lives.
Till the age of 0 - 2 years, a child has no screen time. From 4 years onwards the child starts developing an interest in the easily available electronic gadgets (iPad, Tablet, Smart Phones etc.). This is the time when parents need to see what their children are getting exposed to.
As we all know a child’s brain is more receptive to new things so, develop their logical bent of mind, allow them to think and boggle their minds. There are many coding apps and logic building games that can be downloaded on both Apple and Android devices. How good it would be if instead of wasting time playing one of those vehicle racing games or a monkey chasing something, children invest their time playing logic building games.
So, by merely handing over the device to children so that both, parents and children remain busy does not serve the purpose.
At the age of 7 years, a child’s mind is mature enough to grasp the true coding language skills like Python. At this age children are more adaptable, open and excited to learn anything new. And coding not only improves their technical skills, but also develops the logical skills.
- Problem-Solving – Coding gives a logical approach to a child’s thinking and decision making. It teaches ‘Computational Thinking’ by introducing the concept of flowcharts and algorithms. This teaches the child the fundamental of step-by-step handling of problems by breaking them into smaller parts and then dealing with them one by one sequentially.
This is a very important skill even required at school level. Children who are not able to handle the pressure of homework, projects etc. from school, learn to deal with such issues efficiently.
- Creativity & Innovativeness – Developing Mobile Apps and Websites requires the use of a coding language. But before beginning to code, the design or layout of whatever we want to develop is required. This designing encourages children to think creatively, think out of the box, and come up with new ideas. They are motivated to develop a system that looks good and is user friendly.
- Persistence – A very important skill which almost every parent wants their children to have. Normally we see children do not concentrate on a particular area of work for a very long time. They lose interest very soon and because of this they are unable to complete their given task happily and perform well in their examinations.
By learning to code children learn to concentrate and face challenges. Coding teaches children to keep trying to solve errors until success is achieved.
- Communication – Coding means learning a new language so as to communicate with a device (a computer). This improves both verbal and written communication. Children learn to interact with like-minded companions to discuss coding related issues they face. This improves not just their communication skills but also inculcates the idea of team-spirit. They learn to work in groups which is another very important skill required at school level and throughout life.
- Confidence – Till now the child had been surfing websites and playing games developed by someone else. But after learning to code, children confidently ask their friends to play the games that they have developed. This boosts their overall confidence, in coding as well as in life.
- Builds Career – For the children who wish to make their career in the field of computer science, coding is the basic requirement. So learning to code at a young age would imbibe in them the necessary technical skills along with the much required logical skills.